Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Success #1 - My Marriage


I had a wonderful discussion with two good friends at dinner about my inability to see where I succeed in life. Everything I do turns into a failure...in my eyes. I have a hard time seeing even the biggest successes. I'm a pro at negative self talk. You should hear the stuff I tell myself all day-every day. It's truly sad if you really stop and think about it. Where in the world did I learn it was okay to tell myself I am a failure?

In trying to find even one area where I have not failed, they pointed out the ONE thing I'm proud of....my marriage. Sure, Rob and I have our moments...we're not perfect, but I love that man with everything I have. Other than God, Rob is my everything. We both have worked hard at our marriage and we REFUSE to let it fail. Satan has tried to break us apart many times and he almost won during our first year of marriage, but through all those trials we've triumphed. On July 23rd, we'll celebrate FOURTEEN years of marriage and my mothers 60th birthday!! Fourteen years. WOW! I'm 31 and I've been married almost half my life.

My husband is an amazing man, devoted husband and loving father. He works hard to support his family and somewhere finds the time to lead children's worship at our church every week, worship in the main sanctuary at least once a month, lead youth worship for Jr. High ministry, teach lessons to Jr/Sr High, he's involved in Christin Youth Network things, give guitar lessons once a week, help with homework, work on our car, do yard work, help our parents with thier household repairs as well as our own, spend time with his children, I NEVER have to ask him to "babysit" the kids...in fact, he hates that word because fathers do not babysit their own children and mothers should never have to beg for personal time.

He also straightens the house in record time, cleans the bathrooms, hangs up mine and his clothing, cooks, gives baths, puts the kids to bed, prays with them, reads to them, plays hockey with them and I think I've even seen him paint a toenail or two. He also shuttles the kids to hockey (in season) and from time to time shuttles the other two to Irish Dance.

I don't even have to beg for back/foot/hand massages, he even exfoiliated my feet a few weeks ago. He is so understanding of my illness, encourages me to rest during the day because my energy level is getting better, but still low. He wants me to spend time with my friends, encourages me to have free time, takes me out on dates and finds the babysitters, too!! I know he prays for me daily and has been the most amazing care-taker the past 9 months that I've been sick...not to mention everything that happened before that with his father dying and our eldest son having heart surgery.

This is not all he does or has done...this is only a small list. The main thing is he is amazing, I don't know how he does it all and makes me feel special, too. I do, however, understand how he can lay down on his pillow and a minute later snore like there's no tomorrow. So, the next time I find myself sneering at him because he can fall asleep so quickly while I'm up at 2 am wondering why I can't sleep...I guess I'll be a bit more forgiving and just kiss him on the forehead, tuck him in a little more and cherish the wonderful man God blessed me with.

1 comment:

Christy said...

Lorrie,
I know some of your past history and I think that definately comes to why you don't deem yourself worthy of praise and why you tear yourself down. BUT, and this is a HUGE BUT...GOD is the one who DEEMED You WORTHY and we have NO RIGHT to tell him NO!

God blessed both you and Rob by bringing you together. I see another success....those beautiful children of yours. No doubt they're not perfect, but I've yet to meet a perfect kid and if I did...I might be scared, since we know that the one and only perfect human died on a cross for us at Calvary over 2,000 yrs ago!

Look at what you've accomplished in the last few months with your weight loss. You ARE an amazing woman. You have started to overcome your weight that has held you down for too long. You are working hard to not only get into shape, but more importantly...getting healthy.

I am praying for you that you are able to see the good things about yourself that so many see in you.

God bless