Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Rheumatic Fever

That's what I have.

My tests came back positive and so now I start a high dose of antibiotic (erythromycin) for 10 days and then switch to a smaller dose for the next year or so. Depends on my recovery. Although my doctor hasn't said anything, I'm sure he'll send me in for a heart scan to see if my valves were affected.

It seems that I came down with a streptococcal infection sometime in August, which wouldn't surprise me since I was in and out of the Children's hospital with Brenden from July 27th-Aug 27. So, sometime between July 27 and Aug 30th, I got a strep infection that produced absolutely no symptoms and thus went untreated. I vaguely remember having a scratchy throat a couple weeks prior to Brenden's heart surgery. The only reason I remember that is because I was afraid I was getting a cold and that I wouldn't be able to be with Brenden in the hospital or that his surgery would be cancelled. I wished it away and within a day or two it was gone....or so I thought. I used to say, "I've never had strep throat, I must be immune to it". HAHA! What a joke...on myself!!

On August 30th, I got VERY sick and was taken to the ER. They did everything on me. A strep culture, CT scan, spinal tap. Basically, they sent me home saying it was a virus. For the next week I had constant high fevers, I developed Erythema Nodosum, had joint swelling and pain and headache. At the end of that week, Rob took me to another ER and they (with the help of our family doctor) diagnosed me with having Erythema Nodosum.

Now, EN can just happen without an underlying cause, that is called "Idiopathic EN". However, I knew that with how sick I was, it couldn't be just EN. Something was causing the EN, but I didn't know what.

Streptococcal infections are the most common reason for EN, yet since my strep culture came back negative and wasn't retested , both me and my doctor just presumed it was not strep, thus not even giving a second thought that my chronic illness could be Rheumatic Fever.

I was given steriods and other drugs to help with the EN. As I was being weaned off the steriods in December, I developed a rash. My doctor first thought it was ringworm. Nope. Then he didn't know what it was and so I was referred to a rhemotologist. My original appointment was for January 26th, but I was able to get in last Friday. After a very thourogh exam, he went through the reasons for EN and felt strongly that I did have a streptococcal infection that has now become Rheumatic Fever.

I about fell off my chair...WHAT?? And I'm wracking my brain trying to think what RF is as well as tell him that my culture came back negative. He said that it was probably a bad culture. That can happen?? In the 21st century?? okay. After doing some research online about RF, I realized that he was probably totally right. Everything seemed to fit. I still couldn't believe that I had a strep infection...I don't have a sore throat, I mean...strep throat hurts all the time, right?

WRONG!!

Quite often, RF cases are because it's a 3rd World country without adequate medical care, but where there is adequate medical care, a lot of patients report not having any prior symptoms that would show "strep throat". So they go untreated and if everything is right inside the body (ie, compromised immune system, etc)...BAM...it just might become Rheumatic Fever. I guess I'm one of the lucky 3% of Strep cases that become RF. And to boot, I'm an adult...even more rare since most RF cases are children between 5-15 years old.

A couple weeks ago my hubby and his best friend (aka, to me, "Huckleberry") were having a bible study at the house. I wasn't feeling very well. Huckleberry felt that God was telling him to annoint me with oil and pray for me. So he and my hubby poured (literally!!) the sweet smelling oil on my head and they both prayed for me. I truly feel that the 'easing up' of most of my symptoms, the fading of my rash and the reason I can get out of bed every morning is because God is good. Within a few days the rash started fading...to the point I was worried it would be gone by the 26th and the rheumo would only have pictures to look at. I think it's a miracle that a reason for my illness was even found. Can you imagine me going for the next year or so, living like that and having untreated RF??? EEK!! I'd be dead by 35 with heart valve damage!!

I now know that Jeremiah 29:11 does apply to me, too.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lorri
You know I'm praying for you. Praising GOD this was discovered. This is just amazing and freaky.

God Bless

betty said...

Amen to that about Jeremiah 29:11. I would get an echo on your heart to make sure your valves are okay.

what a scary thing to go through.

betty