Friday, June 30, 2006

I am amazing!

Last night, I went for a walk...by myself. I wanted to go alone, partly because I needed time to think. I'll discuss why another time.

Anyway, I started out walking, but three houses later I decided to jog slowly. I made it to the next street and up 3/4 to the next street. It was then that I felt a sharp pain under my left rib. OUCH!

I walked home and tried to jog one last time, but my side protested fiercely. I just knew I would wake up extremely sore and maybe in the midst of a Sarcoidosis flare-up. Instead, I woke up feeling GREAT! I actually have a desire to jog again. It was even...um....Fun? I'm curious to see how far I can get this time.

Does anyone know how to prevent that sort of cramp/pain? I don't know if I am breathing correctly and if it was my diaphram that was cramping or what? All I know is it hurt.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Feel the burn!!! That's exactly what happened to me - way back when. And, you can't just start jogging, you need to take it slow at first. I speed walked 1-2 blocks then jogged (light) for 1/2 block the first 5 days then set goal to jogging 1 whole block...speed walk for 2 blocks, job 1 block and after about 2 weeks I was speed walking 1 block, jogging next, speed walking, jogging....and it eliminiated the cramp on right side that I was getting in beginning. Also when start out, warm up for half a block and learn to control your breathing, deep breath thru nose, exhale and repeat several times until you start the speed walking. Don't walk/jog with mouth open - bad for breathing and the little bugs love it. It does help if you take a CD player and listen to Elvis songs, I used to jog real good to his 'Don't' and some other great ones. And, once you start feeling the burn you will do everything you can to keep at it.....just be careful and take it slow at first your body isn't used to it....condition, condition and enjoy. Luv, Mom

Lorri said...

Thanks Mom & Meghan!!

I'll take your advice and see how things go. I remember wondering if I was breathing right. It was fast and I kept having to lift up my bra straps as I was running...obviously making me run akward every 5 steps. I need a new bra I guess...or an elastic band to keep them up. Sheesh!

Dehydration is probably a huge factor, too. It's another one of those things I have a hard time getting in. Tomorrow, I'll keep my WW mug filled and drink at least my 6 servings of water.